Thursday, October 28, 2010

Was It Really Cool or Is It Just Me

So today was the day that I had to migrate data from an old system to a new system. I was tasked with converting an old Access database to Sharepoint. Since we only have WSS 3, it was going to a little harder to get it done and to do it right. I know that there may have been other options, but I will outline what I did and why I did it that way.

The choice was made that we would only need to convert the open items from the older system and that was my task. The main problem to overcome was that there were several changes in the new system. These included different fields and some functionality differences. But, that just made it challenging right?

Well, I love a challenge so I immediately hatched an evil plan (ha ha) to make it happen.

I first took the Access table and exported it to the Sharepoint site. This may seem strange, but it gave me a list in Sharepoint that I could work with. Then the rest was creating a custom aspx page with a code file and some object model code to loop through the items that came from Access and add them to the new custom list. I had to massage the data and ensure the old data matched the fields in the new custom list. The code was actually not too difficult and worked great for this and I can use this same approach for any future migrations. Was that really cool?

Any questions or requests, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment