Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Help Needed With Site Provisioning in Sharepoint 2010

I have recently been trying to upgrade my skillset for Sharepoint 2010 and Visual Studio 2010. I am facing an issue and I would like the best way of appraching the problem. I was using the VseWSS 1.3 extensions and used a file called siteprovisioning.cs to do a lot of things when provisioning my site definition. I would use it to create lists, set the site theme, create groups and permissions, etc. I am unable to locate that functionaly directly in 2010 version. So here are basically the questions I am asking.

Can you still do this during site creation? If so, what do I need to do to get this functionaly back. I welcome all comments and suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. A feature receiver, I believe. Do you mean you want VS to generate all that for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, in the vsewss, the file itself was created and I had to write all the code which was fine. I just did not see anything like that in the new version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. then just use the Add New Item -> Feature Receiver and happy coding

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my dilemma, I know how to do create a feature and a receiver. Since I am creating a site definition, some of the items that I create there reference lists that would be created programmatically. I noticed that there were deployment setup options for Sharepoint in the options for the project. There was an option for pre and post deployment items or something like that. Could I use the pre item for this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we use the my content self provisioning it takes 12 minutes in production and less than a minute in a virtual machine.

    That doesn’t make any sense in mind, taking in consideration our powerful production environment and our poor virtual machine.

    Any thoughts would be helpful. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The amount of data and database fragmentation should be considered for this offtopic question.

    ReplyDelete